Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to several custom shops and a few have told me that aluminum wing do not rust...but the steel ones do. Then there's this one shop that told me that the aluminum wings will rust if driven through the winter...so my question to anyone who knows is that my car is a year round car and if I put on an aluminum wing, would it last against rusting and weathering??? any problems associated with aluminum wings that I should know??? thanks guys, later

·
Registered
511 Posts
don't put on a "wing" on the mx6. please don't rice it out like civics. mx6s should have spoilers. wings only belong on airplanes and birds. just get a stock spoiler or thruster or something.

IMO aluminum wings are FUGLY:V

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Agree with last post, don't put wing, put maybe a custom spoiler but please no wings, it just mess the lines of the 6 up not to mention your rear view mirror will be worthless. As for aluminum, as far is i know they don't rust, only oxidize. Maybe i'm wrong on this but i have been riding bikes and collecting knives for the last 10 years and aluminum does not rust, i can give you a whole breakdown of aluminum as an alloy, but basically there is not enouch carbon in it to rust at all. Of course it will have to have a nice finish or it will get ****ed up real fast, and another thing, aluminum BREAKS, really really easily if it's not made right, i should know, i broke 2 alumnum frames because some idiot decided to try and weld a disc brake stud on after it left the factory heat treating.

·
Registered
59 Posts
aluminum wings can rust in the winter. the reason is because of the salt. this may be a poor example, but if you put industrial salts used for de-icing roads on aluminum and get it wet, it will rust fast, it may only be superfical rusting but none the less it will rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts