Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i never thought this could happen. well, i guess theres a first time for everything. ill let you take a look for yourself.

now, what should i do about this? it's the outer half of the crank pulley. should i get an oem replacement or should i go for a performance one? i was looking into the unorthodox racing pulley but it's so freaking expensive. then i saw the obx one. it's about $75 shipped on ebay. anyone have any ideas? thoughts? comments? opinions? lets hear em!!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome king! thanks!! just the answer i was looking for. one more thing. with this being a low part of the motor and it's definitely seen its fair share of salt. how much of a pita is this replace going to be??

·
Registered
717 Posts
Don't get an underdrive. They don't have the harmonic damping capabilities of the stock piece. Supposedly an engine gets killed in relatively short order without the harmonic damping.

Just snag a stock piece. :tup:

by the way, thats fucking nuts! I would not have believed that would happen either.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
damn. ive been doing my research all day on the pulley. my friend's warehouse was closed all weekend so i couldnt get a price on a oem replacement. also, i also read that it was really difficult to replace it without an impact gun. i was thinking of taking it to a shop to get it replaced. and another thing that makes me nervous is that i also read that if it wasnt installed properly, i can screw up the timing. bah. i dont think its worth the trouble...

·
Registered
717 Posts
What... doing it yourself? Have some confidence! Sure you could screw up your timing. Driving a car, you could drive over a guard rail and cause mass havoc, but that doesn't mean you do it! I've taken apart the t-belt, camshafts, lifters three times now. Just read the haynes. Besides, it's not even really a problem if you screw up your timing. You just set it right again..

The bolt on mine was rusty as hell, and a breaker bar had no problem getting it off. Just put the car in 5th gear and have someone stand on the brake pedal. The engine won't turn and the breaker bar will make quick work of the bolt. I didn't even need a puller. I just used my hands and pulled hard while I wiggled back and forth.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Don't get an underdrive. They don't have the harmonic damping capabilities of the stock piece. Supposedly an engine gets killed in relatively short order without the harmonic damping.

by the way, thats [fizzle]ing nuts! I would not have believed that would happen either.

i've had mine on for 20k kms...no probs

^ They also dont have threaded holes for using a puller on, and they tend to seize onto the crank.
nothing a rubber mallet couldn't take care of in my experience..

They also like to fall apart
happened to mine...nothing a little loctite won't prevent from happening again.

happened pretty quickly after i put i on. After loctite and a new set of screws it won't happen again...its also not like you need to take that plate thing off

not to crap on peoples opinions but my underdrive works fine...only cost me 40 bucks too...

as for 'performance' gains...its little to nothing :shrug:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome! i guess ill be working on this myself then. definitely will let you guys know how it turns out, thhanks!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'll be doing this next week too. Nothing major really. To crack the crank bolt, all i'm doing is raising the vehicle, putting a socket/pry bar on it, angling it so when i lower the vehicle, it puts the cars weight on it to free/crack the bolt.

JACK.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
picked up the part today!! $73 woot! made by DORMAN. OE replacement. so fresh and so clean clean!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
looks great! Way cleaner then mine. I wonder if 400 F is too hot for the rubber.... cause then I would tape off the rubber and POWDERCOAT it. :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
car's up and running. at the end of it all, i had my buddy do it at his shop. charged me $40. put it on a lift with an air gun. meh. beats working in the cold and bustin a knuckle or two open `=D

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

i've had mine on for 20k kms...no probs

not to crap on peoples opinions but my underdrive works fine...only cost me 40 bucks too...

as for 'performance' gains...its little to nothing :shrug:

They dont seem to be a problem on stock or near stock motors. Many people do use them for thousands of miles with no issue so it wont kill the motor in short order. Proabably.

Where the problems start are with modified motors running boost and or high RPM's. And drag racing pounds the crank with lots of harsh harmonice and shock loads.

With out a harmonic damper (they are infact not balancers) residual crank harmonics at high RPM can dammage the gearrotor style oil pump driven off the front of the crank. Being powdered metal it dose not like bad vibes.

High powered motors also introduce exccesive harmonics and crank twist that can shatter the pump but thats mostly a problem on longer carnks and cranks that are cast rather than forged.

Miatas have had a long history of these issues since they are raced a lot more than KL equipped cars. A stock replacement damper is the best option and very manditory if building the motor adding boost or even racing a relatively stock motor. But I have yet to see any evidence of bearing dammage or any other dammage besides the oil pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts