Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a step by step write up on changing the front a rear motor mounts. If there are any links online it would be great. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Front mount on a 2.5L.

1. Put 2x4 between jack and oil pan and raise enough to relieve tension on mount.
2. Then using 17mm socket remove to nuts holding mounts studs to the crossmember.
3. Then remove the through bolt from the mount (removing the drivers side splash shield helps access) remove mount.
4.installation reverse of removal.

Total time, 10-15 min

Rear Mount on 2.5L

1. Pray.
2. Learn new swear words, and make sure no small children around.
3. Buy the Haynes manual for 13 bucks at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc...
4. Consider using raffi inserts on the rear so you dont actually have to remove.
5. Give yourself lots of time.
6. Jack up car and put on jack stands. put 2x4 between oilk pan and jack and relieve tension on mount.
7. From underneath locate three bolts (passenger side) that hold the mounting bracket to transmission and remove. (There may be various things in the way if Mtx, remove the nuts and bolts holding them and set aside)
8. Remove the ground strap bolt near (drivers side) top part of mounting bracket.
9. Swear some if you need too. Nurse your bruised and cut hands.
10. Remove through bolt from Mount. Good luck, use different combination of wrenchs, extension s, etc... to get access to it and pray that you are able to get enough torque to loosten that first turn. You can try from above and below, assistant with flash light is handy. Then remove bracket.
11.If you are using Raffi Inserts, insert them now, and reassemble everything.
12. Now if you have decided to replace whole mount and not use the inserts from Raffi, this is where it gets fun.
13. You either have to remove the intake or drop the subframe to get access to the three bolts that hold the mount in place. (If somebody knows a way around this gladly chime in).
14. Installation is reverse of removal.
15. Go cry and drink and swear at the Japanese engineers who design this car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man you really made me want to just jump on that rear mount, lol. Well what do think about this. I know a mechanic that will change both mounts, both valve cover gaskets and the passenger side lower control arm bushing for $200 if I supply the parts. I have everything besides the valve cover gaskets which are like $45 for both.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
$200 is pretty good for all that man, this a friend of yours? I just got finished install the frount motor mount insert from rr-racing... Holy Sh*t!! I only replaced the front one today due to time constraints, but [email protected]! it made a huge difference, acceleration seems much smoother and response also seems improved!

On the front mount I didnt wanna jack it up at the oil pan so I jacked it up where there is a corner of the block that was just big enough for the end of a 2x4. Worked perfectly...Had some trouble gettin the through bolt out at first as the other side the nut holding it on has this metal protrusion meant to keep it from turning but it kept bending and not doin its job. --- Just used a pair of pliars to keep it from spinnin and my trusty 1/2" breaker=cake. :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
i'm currently attempting the rear mount considering giving up on the rr inserts. I think i made a few new combinations of swears that i've never used before or ever will again.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
NonCorp said:
I just got finished install the frount motor mount insert from rr-racing... Holy Sh*t!! I only replaced the front one today due to time constraints, but [email protected]! it made a huge difference, acceleration seems much smoother and response also seems improved!
Man, I want to do this so bad since I have both sitting in my room, but if you install only one, I hear the new one will wear in faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts