Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

321 - 340 of 2897 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
LOL

I thought that was....

okay, hold a firecracker in the palm of your hand, light it, it will burn. now close your fist around it, light it, what will happen then? Lose a couple of fingers?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Yeah that I understand, but I still don't see your point, I thought maybe you were getting at something deeper. You will run rich if you use a higher octane fuel than you need, end of story.

·
Banned
1,535 Posts
Butcho Sr. said:
Im going on a gutting spree....remove 400 pounds, Ill be 22 hp quicker. BAM

*Knowledge rocks*
please don't. thats a waste of a perfect car.

i thought we were the ones making fun of honda owners, and then we go and throw up similar ideas. butcho, i'm not picking on you, but just don't do it.

i'll give you karma if you don't. LOL

·
Banned
1,535 Posts
i may have recruited another mx6'er to the meet.

long story short, i walk into baskin robbins, and a guy that works there asks me if i want to trade for his mx6. he told me it was the first gen. so i laughed and told him about the meet.

so i'll be crossing my fingers, cuz he was a kick ass guy. his car is by far the cleanest 1st gen i've ever seen in person. shiny white paint, lowered about 1.5" and 17's with low pros.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
jhox21 said:
i may have recruited another mx6'er to the meet.

long story short, i walk into baskin robbins, and a guy that works there asks me if i want to trade for his mx6. he told me it was the first gen. so i laughed and told him about the meet.

so i'll be crossing my fingers, cuz he was a kick ass guy. his car is by far the cleanest 1st gen i've ever seen in person. shiny white paint, lowered about 1.5" and 17's with low pros.
not cleaner than mine ;) hahah

·
Registered
182 Posts
OK - all this talk of octane has me re-thinking things....

I know the higher CR in a ZE requires high octane, but what about a stock 2G V6? I get measurably better gas mileage when I use higher octane gas. When I first got my car, I tried two tanks with Super, then two tanks with regular unleaded, then back and forth a couple of times. Most of my fill-ups were at the local 76 station (I stay away from Arco gas). I consistently got better gas mileage out of the higher octane, so I've stuck with using super since then (have about 118k on the car now). Does this sound correct?

What does everybody else here use?

P.S. I've been using Valvoline 10-30 High-Mileage oil - what does everybody else here use?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I use conventional 10-30, sometimes I'll toss in a quart of syn blend oil. Gas, about 95% of time I fill up at the Cenex station in Tacoma, 94 octane, and it smells sweet :) unlike the sulphorous smelling gas you get elsewhere, like shell and 76

·
Registered
288 Posts
i just watched a special on A&E modern marvels about the oil industry. they showed all the piplelines across the US. Basically any company puts crude, deisel, treated..whatever into the line, and then they run these huge rubber cone cleaners thru to scrap the pipe somewhat clean between runs.

The overlapping runs are a mix, and either get refined again or sent to buyers who dont need certain octanes (like some farm equipment & factories can burn prety much anything).

So it goes desiel-mix-crude-mix-87-mix-94-mix etc.

It works like a bank, 76 might withdraw in the NE exactly what Texaco had refined and deposited in the gulf. You get a credit, and then take out whatever is available at the other end. Its very rare that your company would get what you processed.

Sometimes *just sometimes* they will have refinerys at teh end of the pipelines, where they will add additives..but the chemists laughed as they said even then they are the same additives from one company to another. One 87 is teh same as another company's 87..its all the same grade no matter what pump you are at.

Its pure marketing. My gf swears up and down that AM/PM sucks, but the authorities showed tons of reasons why no company is better than another..its all consumer perception.

I thought it was pretty sweet show..the pipeline map was nuts. There are literally only a handful of main pipes across the country..they just spread out into little vein type end points in the major regions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
meh..what will I need it for? My car will be stolen as soon as I move to my new pad anyway lol.

BTW I found out that SPD offers "teh club" for $20....but Renton Police Dept will sell it to anyone for $10.98 a piece. Im getting 5 for myself and any visitors dropping by :D

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
hey Ian...I was thinking about that...you don't need the club...as a thief will cut through your steering wheel to remove it...here's the thing, get a clutch club :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
ahh..good idea! Ill get one of them for myself, and get a few of those cheap steeringwheel clubs for my friends when they visit;)

That way the thiefs will go for their cars first!

321 - 340 of 2897 Posts