Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I needed help urgently with a problem that I had a few days ago on my 96 LS.
First, my car didn't start because the battery went bad, the AAA guy came out and said, time to replace, and gave me a jump so the car started
...so I went back to the store I bought the care from from since it was still under warranty and got a new one.
Problem is they gave me the wrong battery! Instead of a 58R-3 they gave me a 58-3S, which I didn't check,being the bonehead I am. I tried installing it, and the thing about the 58-3s battery is that the position of the positive and negative terminals are switched from the proper one. I tried installing the wrong 58-3S and starting my car but all I got was some pretty decent sparking at the battery terminals as I tried to attach the terminals, and then obviously the car wouldn't start. Looked at it again, went duh, went back to the store, switched to the right battery and installed that. Problem is now that the car doesn't start at all. I can turn the headlights on (that's all that goes on), but when I turn the key, nothing but blackness, no turning over, no nothing. Just the headlights turning on (they turn on with or without the key in). Can any one give me any suggestions? I tried looking at some of the fuses in the engine compartment, there's the main 100A one that I can't seem to get out, but I can't even tell if it's bad or not, and I can't seem to pull it out. I'm really hoping the reversed battery terminals with the wrong 58-3s didn't mess up my car..if someone can help that would be great!
Us

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
You may have fried your starter. That is linked directly to the battery and if you crossed the wires it probably went. Was there any smoke or burnt smell when you tried to start it?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
my guess is you blew the 100A fuse. That one is the most likey to go in that situation. You can't get it out becuase its is bolted in. Two bolts. I would replace that fuse before I worried too much.

as a side note dont bridge that 100amp fuse with a wrench after being an idiot and not disconecting your battery. That bitch hurts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts