Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am new to the F2T game but have been a car nut for a long time (24+ cars later I get my first turbo). I was wondering if anyone was squatting on one of the custom o2 housings just collecting dust?

Lets make a deal.
-Neen-

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Hey all,

I am new to the F2T game but have been a car nut for a long time (24+ cars later I get my first turbo). I was wondering if anyone was squatting on one of the custom o2 housings just collecting dust?

Lets make a deal.
-Neen-
Honestly it isn't worth the cost or the effort to install, the factory IHI turbo is rated to flow a maximum of 21lbs per minute of air. The factory ECU injectors and fuel system can handle about 22.5-23lbs/min air flow. The turbo will die before the system runs lean.
You can make that 21lbs per minute running 16 or 17psi boost on factory everything or put a bunch of mods on and run less boost, this means any exhaust mods, intercooler mods or pipe mods, head,,, on the stock turbo can be replaced with more boost, all the above mentioned modifications are beneficial when upgrading the turbo but buying something designed to improve the factory turbos flow is not a good investment.

As an example 323 gt's sometimes run the F2T turbo as an upgrade, with the 323's smaller displacement they can manage up to 22psi boost on these turbos before they blow up, throw it on a V8 and it would choke the engine and probably blow up at 4psi.
Mazda didn't do a bad thing installing a tiny turbo, they set -up the car so you cant blow the engine running to much boost, many turbo cars aren't set-up this way, the turbo's air flow potential is greater than the fuel supply and if you raise boost as far as the turbo can handle the engine runs lean and detonates.

Boost would come on earlier and more suddenly but boost on the F2T already comes on to early and suddenly and does no favors to the differential.
This would be a worthwhile modification on a Buick grand national or mustang SVO they both have turbos that can flow more air than the factory fuel system can handle, increase air flow, exhaust flow, air cooling, fuel and make more power than the fuel factory ecu can manage.
With the F2T it's purchase and install a divorce wategate custom O2 housing or turn up the boost X amount, the factory turbo limits the amount of exhaust that can flow through the exhaust turbine = power/torque before the shaft snaps. The T-bird turbo is limited in the same way, it runs the same shaft and compressor side and disintegrates at close to the same boost the VJ11 does, because turbo's are rated based on compressor flow not turbine the T-bird turbo is rated to flow more air per psi but the exhaust side isn't.

These are quality O2 housings designed by someone who cared and they are well built, the factory turbo just isn't worthy of the mod.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So for ~200whp I should go with a T3 flange welded on the stock manifold? Do you have any prewelded manifolds?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts