Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just trying again to see if I got any luck finding a good condition stock turbo in here.

I am URGENTLY looking for a turbocharger as mine needs rebuilt and the car aint got no power got very slow recently...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just changed my turbo, i went to Olypic Wreakers at Lonsdale (SA) sold it to me for $395, they also gave me a 30 day Warranty with it (most warrantys are just start only) ive been happy as with my new turbo.

Ive still got my old turbo, needs a compleat rebuild but if your interested let me know.

We will have to go for a cruise sometime when your car is all good again:D

Mark

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the wreckers are around the same price. I am looking for something that dont need to have any work done on em for like $100-$150...

flavor_flav_24 said:
I have a spare the guy I got it from said it could use some new seals...so yeah make an offer if your interested...
cheers mate. so its just the sealings? do you know where I can get those seals and if I can do it myself? any shaft play? do that means shaft play?...as long as I dont have to rebuild it and spend $$$ then it probably be fine.

well please let me know exatly what things need to be done so that I could calculate an estimate cost for it, because if by the end of the day its gonna cost me $3xx then I can not afford it. well how much you want for yours cause good working conditions sells for around $100-$150 here...

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
dude if u can get a good working one for 100-150 there, get it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
loool, ive seen a few guys sold a good condition for $150 in this site, or was I dreaming?...looooool

well I contacted this guy in the US and I can get the full rebuilt kit with postage for about $150, is it easy to rebuild them? I am good with mechanical work and have good skills and experience, hope this aint gonna be too hard...

that way I can have a turbo rebuild (which they charge $600 in the turbo repair shops)....i reckon i should do that cause with $150 as you know I wont be able to get a good turbo....

·
Registered
329 Posts
its not as easy as open it up chuck the parts in and bolt her back up, it has to be balanced so it spins freely, a turbo shop will spin it up to 10,000 revs with compressed air and ajust it. i think no matter how much you pay you should get a turbo off a motor that you can hear running or at least see it still bolted on to a motor so you can be sure it has not been taken off because it has problems, it a hell of alot of work to do to find out its shot.:rocket:

·
Registered
762 Posts
yeah listen to PSI626, you wont be able to rebuild yours if you have never rebuilt one before...good runners on here go for around $250-$300, I have never seen them go any cheaper....I may be getting a recent recon on soon but maybe next week....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh...damn! so I guess I wont be having any luck...well yeah I called turbo tune and adelaide turbo works and they said it will cost me $600 to do a rebuilt. I thought OK I can buy the rebuild kit for $150 (postage inc.) then It will be easy but it seems it aint easy...well I wonder how much the turbo rebuilders charge if I supply them the parts and take off the turbo myself?

that way they dont have to put my car there and waste a space there and take the turbo off and put it back on...

I call em up and see what happenes.

I guess my only hope is the wreckers but we dont know how much the turbo has problems and plays....thast the thing, you know spending $350 and if after 3 months it goes again, basically I wasted $350, unless they give me a good 1 year warranty, which i dont think they will....thats why they such rip-offs.....

ahh well I gotta see if I can get a good one from the US eBay, but then again the seller could lie about it and just sell it to me....

DAMN! it's so hard and expensive to find a bloody stock turbo charger.....lol

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the parts I was gonna get plus a new compressor wheel for RHB5-VJ11, This kit is for a T-Bird but the guys said he will include the bearing for the VJ-11 for extra USD $10, and the compressor wheel is USD $56 Brand New and the kit is USD $75. So with compressor wheel it will all be around USD $157 (inc. p/h) which is about AUD $210, but then the turbo will be good as New....

so having all those parts plus the compressor wheel, you reckon it will still need adjustments?

IHI RHB5 Ford T-Bird Super DeluxeTurbo Rebuild Kit - Item number: 8010609551

·
Registered
329 Posts
yes it will always need tuning from new, if you put on a second hand one and it runs for a day or two it will be fine if you take care of it.

i had to change mine because i let the oil get to low (huge costly mistake!!!:damnmad: )

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool. well I got a second hand one off of a tx5 from the wreckers, the guy took it of infront of me and there was some recond signs on the turbo, even though the cars has done 298k's (the car at the wreckers) but the turbo seem to be fine, and they gave me 3 months warranty on it.

they said they dont usually give warranties on turbos cause people trash em and bring em back but cause they know that turbo was pretty good, they gave me 3 months warranty...

I hope it will be fine, i got it installed myself and just need to change the ex manifold gasket as I forgot to put it on....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Since you're gonna have the turbo off might as well do the whole lot, i'm planning on doing it just to be safe and wont have to worry about it anymore for awhile (well dquik1 will be doing most of the work haha thanks buddy!). Turbo gaskets, exhaust manifold gasket, oil drain hose, new hose clamps, and going with welch plugs etc etc :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JorDy said:
Since you're gonna have the turbo off might as well do the whole lot, i'm planning on doing it just to be safe and wont have to worry about it anymore for awhile (well dquik1 will be doing most of the work haha thanks buddy!). Turbo gaskets, exhaust manifold gasket, oil drain hose, new hose clamps, and going with welch plugs etc etc :)
well what happened was that I got the turbo at the wreckers and it had sogns of recond on it, even though the car has done 298k's, but the wheel was fine and got 3 months warranty, the hoses were fine and I have changed the exhaust manifold gasket completly, but used the old downpipe gaskets, as they are easy to change later on anyways...

I just finished the exhaust manifol gasket an hour ago and waiting to get new bolts cause mine a couple of em are stuffed and i need to get new ones...

I cant wait to start it up and see how it goes...I paid $350 for the turbo out of a 88 model (maybe 89) black tx5, that had monza BOV on it and a simple system...the car had fron passenger side damage and they just wrecked it...

that was the only option for me to get one immediately...

so tomorrow i'll go get some bolts...I also changed the oil using the Penrite HPR15 new coolant as well. so there goes my service...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I definitely will mate...I hope it will all be ok cause I spend the last bit of my cash at the moment so it better work....or I am back at the wreckers and start barking at them like a dog....:argue: ...looooooooool

JorDy said:
Nice work, let me know how it goes...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts