Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday evening, I just did a brake job on the 1989 MX6 GT. I've been driving all over with NO problems.

So this morning, I got a little "friskie" listening to Areosmith, and took some corners kind of hard, then came out of the corners burning rubber in 2nd gear (it was fun).

Anyway, I began smelling burning, at very first, I thought it was just burning rubber, then I began to worry it was the clutch....you know the smell....the same smell that smoking-hot brakes make.

So as I began slowing down for the next light....I notice SEVERE brake fade. I pull into a parking lot to examine, sure enough, front driver's side brake is smoking slightly.

That said....I hardly even USED the breaks during this brief, VERY brief episode.....I was mainly acclerating and turning! .....is it just a coincidence that my caliper began "sticking" after that auto-x style driving (and not using the brakes), or what? I've NEVER experienced this!

If it is a "sticky caliper", I'll do a search of MX6.com to look for the remedies...seems like I've heard of that before here on MX6.com

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Bleed the brakes too.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
DJ_JaKe said:
haha, yea my thought to that one as well.

I dont see how it could be the slider pin. The friction of the breaks is going to be stronger than a dirty pin, unless something fierce was in the way. That would also cause it to pull like a bitch, not just a brake fade. Yea i got nothing...

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Mazdaman92 said:
Could u have over tightened the caliper and the pad was touching the rotor?
Thats a sig quote if I know one!

Mazdaman, have you ever done a set of brakes before?/know what the fu¢k you're talking about? Theres only one way to overtighten a caliper, if the bolts snaps.

I dont think it would be the guide pin causing it myself. I think it would be mainly a sticking caliper (which is the piston that makes the pad hit the rotor, Mazdaman) and the guide pin helping it out.

-Tyler

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Its all in fun. Many people have been there at one point. Its quite obvious he doesnt know what hes talking about, therefore he should have stayed out of the thread. I dont post in threads containing shit I dont know answers to. It was his own mistake, he asked for it :shrug:

-Tyler

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey back on subject now, was that new pads on new rotors ? I mean how tight was the fit when you put the caliper/pads over the rotor? Does it look like both pads are rubbing the rotor?(or just one side?) Maybe the piston in the caliper isnt seating properly? also is
the rotor running centered in the caliper?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Wow ok thank you lnloguage. IDK y we have to make a big fucking deal out this i mean jesus christ its just a mistake and everyone just has to laugh, and the fact i am a post whore means nothing so a few of u can just fuck off. Like u guys have never made a mistake before.

I thought what i said was a legit answer for something but i guess i was wrong so whatever

·
short stroker
235 Posts
by "brake job", do you mean just new pads? It's possible you could have a misadjusted booster pushrod...if it's in too far, your brakes will drag. You could have had this since you owned the car...who knows, but with new pads, you will definitely feel it more when the brakes are applied. I adjusted mine a bit too much before, and after a very short drive realized what was wrong. I'll try to post a pic of the right adjustment and spec...just so you can rule it out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
well since your calipers are dragging... here are your remedies

#1. rebuild the caliper
#2. if caliper cant be rebuilt... buy 2 new ones...

(reason for #2) 1 new caliper and 1 old caliper can cause the car to pull to one side b/c the new caliper can be more efficient than an old one... so that side would work better

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
More than once now I've forgotten to really lube the slide pin and inside the lower bolt/spacer boot. Also if you took anything apart, make sure that spacer in the lower boot goes back in. I've also forgot that before and thought something was funny when I tried to tighten it back down. Just some helpful hints.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the inputs guys....and lay off of mazdaman....I've actually made similar mistakes...and I'm not an idiot...sometimes your brain just farts I guess.

Eitherway.....to be more specific....

I didn't turn the rotors (I bought new ones originally, but when I compared the thickness of the new vs. old, the new ones were like 1mm thicker than the old ones...I chose to go with it.

A friend of mine said that not turning the rotors is a NOT GOOD....I agree. On a side note, the last 10 or more brake jobs I've done over the past few years...I didn't turn ANY ROTORS, and I have yet to experience this. HOWEVER, the rotor that had the smoking caliper does have a "scrape" on the outer edge from the previous brakes (wore down to the metal before I MADE the time to do a brake job).....

I'll take it apart this weekend, and check it all out and let y'all know.

That caliper did have break fluid at the hose where it connected to the caliper. That is another thing I'll look into.....It was minor....but I've NEVER had ANY brake leaks before, and I don't like the idea.

Not having time is a BIAaaaatch!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts