Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XENON BULBS

OK fellow Australians, I need to find a dealer which sells Xenon type HID bulbs for my MX6.

I would like to get both headlight bulbs and interior globes, I want to blind people

So if anyone knows of any dealers would be appreciated.

In Melbourne if possible...i am willing to get them from interstate if neccessary

THANKS

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im still waiting on them myself....nobody seems to know anything....

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
You don't mean like nerva artic blues do ya?
And on the interior lamps.... The brightest things I’ve found, especially if you wont a colour {like blue for example} is to use a"10 mm high or super brightness LED" you need to solder a resistor to drop the voltage, and you can solder them in to position...They only cost ~70c
PK ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think Silver knows something about this. The second Gen "projector" lamps apparently cost an arm and/or a leg.
Perhaps he'll tell us.

Silver???

4WSB

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THIS THREAD

This thread I posted over 2 months ago since then I found the hyper/super/ultra whites and created a new thread explaining where i got them from.

But now Im curious about these LED's are they just normal LED's?

Give us a little more detail about this, im a little curious about what this is all about.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What blue/bright globes can you get for 2nd gen spotlights?

As I said earlier the projectors lamps are probably prohibitively expensive.

TIA
4WSB

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The last time I saw some Xeon super bright lights cost $120 a pair. These were imports from Japan. They came in yellow,blue, and rainbow. They were proberbly for the J-Spec ones.

Nerva has replacements type super white globes, but are not Xenon. It says its 30% brighter. I have them installed currently and they give off a blueish beam.

A company called "Long Life Lamp" make Xenon ones. I had them installed once and only lasted about 2 months before they blew. They were cheapies from Korea. Cost $30. Can't remember where I bought them. I still have the box for them.

Could not be bothered to change the fog lights. Too hard to remove.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
In my opinion the best value Blue/bright globes can you get for 2nd gen spotlights are the Artic Blue .The H3 is proving hard to find in Perth, but you can cut and make the normal head light ones fit.
The only thing is that the driving lights don’t really throw allot of light forward .By design they point downwards, but they still look bright to on coming traffic }) {if that is what you wont}.
P.K.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are normal head light lamps?? H1, H2, H3 or H4???

I get confused with which is which now??

And how do you modify them to fit??

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The 2nd Gen uses H1 for the Projectors and High Beam. It is H1 12V 55W. Don't know the the fog lights use.

·
Registered
304 Posts
OK. I didn't know any of this until I blew a couple of my globes, but I'll add it for what it's worth, and to get a few post's under my belt.

2nd gen

Projectors and hi-beams both use H1 type globes. Both are factory rated at 12V55W. The difference in illumination is due to the aim. My lows were aimed pretty much at the ground which meant in rural driving I couldn't see shit w/o hi-beam. So I aimed 'em up. Low's probably shouldn't have the wattage upgraded from 55, however some globe manufacturers claim equivalence to 85W from their superwhite globes. This is pretty much bs, however some people (me included) prefer the whiter colour of these globes. Plus, oncoming drivers see them as faintly blue. Incidentally, there is a good website discussing the pro's and con's of using these bluish globes in driving, and as soon as I remember the url I'll post it.

On the other hand, hi beams can be uprated. I now have 100W globes in mine, which are nice for country driving. 130W are also available, but as this is more than double standard power output, I would wonder about wiring/fuse longevity. Incidentally, hi's are much harder to get to for changing than lows, due to there being a radiator support or somesuch in the way. :-(

Foglights on 2nd gen cars use H3 globes. These look like H1 but are a bit smaller, and have the connector attached to a length of wire rather than directly to the back of the globe. Again, they are available in blue or whitish colour. standard is 12v55w, mine are upgraded to 100w which is again nice 'n bright. Also, 93-4 cars have yellow foglights - the yellow is provided by a yellow glass filter around the globe rather than a yellow globe itself. This filter can be quite easily removed. White foggies look better (I think) but don't do the intended job as well. Not that there tends to be so much fog where most of us live (except maybe 6girl). Again, 130w is available, but same deal with fuse life methinks.

1st gen

These cars I don't know so much about, but I think they use H4 globes, which are much much bigger physically and are dual-filament in the same way that brake/tail lamp globes are. I have again seen these in blue/superwhite and normal.

Hope this helps.

NB the blue globes are completely different to HID, which you of course all know, the only similarity being that they look bluish to onlookers. Mechanism of the blueness is quite different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts