Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People Ive found them....
Ive found Hyper White Globes!!!

I was strolling around Melbourne this afternoon and decided to go for a little walk into Autobarn, and I came across Super White Globes for the car.

The cost of the globes are $27.95 a pair (blueish glow)
Apparantly they are Autotechnica and are cheap there was another brand @ $79.95 a pair. (staff said that they were the same just cost more because of a different importer)

Also I found colored globes for interior lights etc.
$12.95 a pair for (194 type globes, in blue yellow & green)

I purchased the Super White globes & the interior colored globes.

Now to find time when Im not driving my car to actually put the globes in.

Im going to replace the interior map lights and dome lights with blue globes, and was thinking about putting in blue globes on the door lights also...

So far Autobarn is the only place ive managed to find these Super/Hyper white globes...

S

·
0 Posts
You could also try eBay - they're always a bunch of auctions for 'em.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey SideFx

How are the lights??/ What do you notice about them when you're driving??

Do they look bluish/whitish depending on the angle??

·
Registered
621 Posts
Woo if you're getting flashed then you need to adjust your lights a bit.

Set up correctly, they shouldn't appear as high-beam to the other drivers.

In the 2nd gen I haven't had a single flash since installing the "Narva Artic Blue" bulbs, and spending 10 minutes fiddling with the adjustment: but I HAVE noticed a massive increase in intensity. I'm really happy with the globes - I wasn't really looking for BLUE anyway.

To adjust my lights I pointed the car at a wall, on a steady flat piece of ground, say 30 feet away and made sure that the top of the beam is below the height of the headlamp.

I've read that real HID's (High intensity discharge) are REAL expensive and use a completely different technique.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
stupid one here........
Just a bunch of questions.
~What is the difference between blue lights and hyper white? it seems both glow little blue and shine white colour.
~What are H3 and H4?
~Part numbers if possible
im wondering b/c i want to buy a set. really tired of the 'Yelow Glow'
big thanx

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blind Freddie said:
stupid one here........
Just a bunch of questions.
~What is the difference between blue lights and hyper white? it seems both glow little blue and shine white colour.
~What are H3 and H4?
~Part numbers if possible
im wondering b/c i want to buy a set. really tired of the 'Yelow Glow'
big thanx
My understanding of the difference between the Hyper Whites and Blue are something like this. The Hyper whites/Super Whites are globes which are clear in color but when they light up the gas inside of them gives off a blue glow when viewed at certain angles. Blue Lights are exactly what they say they are...(from what I gather globes with a blue translucent coating), which cause the globe to give off the blue color.

Hyper whites / Super whites are great because of their ability to give a whiter white shine, normal globes have a yellowish tinge to them. The Hypers & Supers are great because they actually reflect better off objects.

Blue coated globes and Lights are illegal in Australia as an external lighting source.

The only colors allowed as a source of light externally on a vehicle is white and yellow. (Hypers/Supers fall in this code). I know about this law because of the fact i received a $350 fine for having neon lighting on the undercarage of my VK a few years ago.

The local justice department made it very clear to me what the [email protected] law is about this when i went to court. Novilty or not dont risk putting on anything which shines a light of a different color on your vehicle you dont need the hastle of loss of money and demerit points.

Stick with the legit sh!t

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I bought a replacement one last weak and it is different from the ones I got last year! The new ones are not as "blue" :( . the new ones have DOT {department of transport} stamped on them. So I think the old ones weren’t approved.
The new ones are O.K. though.
The packet says..."narva artic blue high performance globes are manufactured with a blue adsorption coating"
It goes on "narva artic blues are street legal and conform to ECE and ADR" .

Mr freddie ! H3 is the type that goes in your driving lamps, an H1 is for the main {in a second gen}, H4 are the combination high low beam for your first gen. Their isn't much difference between H1 and H3, you can make a H1 fit your driving lights {you just have to cut it a little with tin snips, that's what I had to do [couldn't get H3]} .
The maximum wattage for second gen lights is 55W {without alteration} some china cheapies claim higher wattage than they actually are.....
C-YA .... PK:)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night I went out for dinner with my police officer mates and we got talking about lighting on cars etc.

According to them the law still stands that any external lighting source can not be anything other than Yellow or White.....Arctic blues and Hyper/Super whites are legal because they shine a white light, when projected on an object.

Neon lighting & colored (other than white or yellow) flood/spot lights are still illegal for external use on vehicles.

Vehicles who have them fitted even if they are not operating at the time can still be booked.

They may be illegal to be used on vehicles but they are not illegal to sell. There is no law against selling such items, because people use them for car shows etc.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
sorry to bring this up again, but.......
i went to Autoban and saw artic blues. on the pack it said resembels Xeon charged bulbes, but the salesman was telling me that their are actualy Xeon charged.
Clear this one for me, please. they are or they are not?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hi freddy
I don’t know what gas is in the artic blues {that’s what xenon is, a gas} but I guess it may help if I told you {and every one else} the difference between discharge and incandescent lighting.

Let’s see how we go.... Well you have seen neon signs or street lights right? They are discharge systems, how it works is they get glass a tube, fill it with gas, and put a very high voltage at eater end, and the electricity jumps from one end to the other. {You get all the different colours from the combinations of type of gas in the tube and the pressure in the tube}

Now incandescent {ordinary resistive light bulbs} are just a piece of wire {commonly tungsten} enclosed in glass and filed with an inert {non-flammable} gas {commonly argon or halogen}. You put a voltage directly across the wire and it glows the gas in the globe stops the wire from bursting into flames by keeping it cool.

It doesn't really matter what gas the artic blue lamps are charged with, as long as the light thay make is blue! But make no mistake Xenon discharge lighting systems are nothing like standard 12V globes .The colure from the artics may be blue, but it is probably more to do with the colour of the glass, than the gas in the lamp.

God that really sounds convincing doesn’t it?
PEACE
PK;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PK you make sense....maybe coz im an ex electrical/electronics engineer I understand it...

Xenon gas globes are the best to get, Arctic blues dont use a gas as such I think....

In the end it doesnt really matter as long as it looks good and performs the function it sets out to do.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
thanx, its does makes sence and cleared up a lot. so im guessing the Xeon bulbs would cost more, right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts