Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ever heard of the $600 nut... here it is
:rocket:
This nut killed my gearbox, though the box might still be repairable...

Check my website for more details
http://roger.beverleypaine.com/tx5.html
scroll down to the big UPDATED text.

I had know idea this nut was in there until I pulled the gearbox off :eek: must have fallen down one of those rubber vents, or was just left in there when the clutch was done... before I bought the car.

Its all good now except the selector is a bit stiff to move.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
hey roger my mum has a 89 tx5 and the gearbox died today :(

how hard was it to replace?

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
easy as mate, support engine with a brace over hte top, drop all lhs suspension and then take shafts out etc, then the slector shaft and stabilizer bar, wiring etc top mount then the 7 or bolts aorund the box. then pull the box out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also removed the crossmember below the gearbox, I think if you sorta know ya stuff it can be done is less than a day, but I seem to always have problems when it comes to cars so it took me a bit longer.
If you have a turbo car the gearbox can be hard to find. also there is a lot more stuff on the turbo car that you need to remove to get to things like the clutch line, but really it wasn't all that hard.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
meh thats the same as n/a

you need to pull the i/c pipes out and air box to gain room to move. makes job easier aswell as LHF strut take not of where it was so it goes back in same posistion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts