Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been putting up with a reduction of my headlight intensity. It's gotten to a point where I need to do something about it. I have just tried plastic polish on them, an abbrasive and a polish. I also read somewhere that you can take really fine wet/dry sandpaper and start there and move your way to the plastic polish.
Can anyone give any hints on how to clear up the headlights?

·
Registered
24 Posts
just did a realy good job on mine after reading some tips off the site. First sand the glass with 600 grade so it is flat an appears hazy when dry (Iused a sander for this bit or it would have taken ages). Instead of using plastic polish, I used celulose laquer (same difference ish). Starting with very light layers (as the laquer will run realy easily on glass), build up a thick layer of laquer over the glass (it will help to dry the paint with a hairdryer between layers). next step is to flatten the laquer with 1200 grade. again they should appear hazy when dried and any bright spots should be sanded out. once its all been sanded with 1200, it can then be polished with a light compound and hey presto - brand new (looking anyhow!)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I spent about 10 minutes on my headlights and fogs a few weeks ago.

Used very fine steel wool to evenly resurface them to a haze
Wipe them down a couple of times with acetone (actually nail polish remover) on cotton balls
Buffed with ScratchX ($1.99 from Wal-Mart)

They don't look like brand new, but a huge improvement and not 4 hours worth of sanding and most of the yellow is gone. Most importantly, I didn't have to remove them from the car.

before

after

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.