Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so my car has had a wierd idle for quite some time now it would idle around 1500, cold or hot then whenever I'm driving and I hit the clutch or stop at a light etc it will jump between 1000 and 1500 consistantly for about 30 seconds then settle back at the 1500 mark,

I throroughly cleaned out the IAC and now it will idle down to the 850 mark when I start it up and let it sit for more then about 10-15 seconds but when I drive it it will still do the jumping up and down and settle at 1500 when the clutch is disengaged,

neither of my VRIS solenoids are working not sure if the #1 not working would have anything to do with it? i've put up with it for a while but I have a week off and I want to fix this problem!! any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Make sure your TPS is set correctly. This will affect idle a lot.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i'll add that to the list of things to do this week! any other suggestions?

·
Registered
256 Posts
i had an idle problem when one of my radiator hoses was cracked/leaking. High idle at cold start (1500-2000) and once warm the car had that revving idle you described. replaced the house, everything worked/works great!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i also have an idle problem. my alternator was dying AND i had a minor leak in one of my coolant hoses. i replaced the alternator and coolant hose and my idle is still high, but doesn't do the crazy rpm bobbing up and down anymore

·
Registered
717 Posts
:rolleyes:

There is this sticky in 2G MX6, and halfway down the first page, there is this post that would probably help EVERYONE with idle issues.

Haynes would probably tell you too.

Here is the thread.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ha, i've looked at that page probably a hundred times in the past week or so. you'd think it'd be that easy, and i wish it was. sometimes it takes replacing a part to fix stuff, like a leaky hose, but burping is key

·
Registered
717 Posts
lol, what do you mean, "burping?"

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
squeezing coolant hoses to get rid of air bubbles :burp: that is with the radiator cap off. but his problem could be any one of the things people have suggested or a combination. just do all of them

lol, what do you mean, "burping?"

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how would I go about making sure my TPS is in tip top shape? I have a spare one layin around too

·
Registered
778 Posts
ive had both TB idle problems before heres my tips:

setting the TPS:
1) put the car in diagnostic mode
2) flick the ignition to the on position
3) unscrew the TPS till the fans turn on
4) turn the TPS back slowly until they turn off and re-tighten TPS
5) ensure fans are OFF when throttle is closed each time by manually opening and closing the throttle.

to remove the air from the TB:
1) remove the TB but leave the coolant lines attached
2) tip the TB upside down and remove one of the 2 coolant hoses
3) shake the TB about to get the air bubbles out (put your thumb over the exposed coolant line)
4) fill the TB coolant hole with coolant right to the top
5) fill the TB coolant hose you took off with coolant right to the top (if it seeps down keep adding coolant it till it stops)
6) quickly reattach the coolant line to the TB trying now to spill any water out either side (i found the easiest way is either with 2 people one to hold the other to connect or with one person partially connect the hose to the TB exposing a corner, using s syringe pour more coolant in till its filed then connect completely).

i had to do this procedure about 3 times to solve my bouncing idle problem.

if you recently cleaned your TB:
1) turn the idle screw in (down) all the way
2) start the car and apply a small amount of gas to keep the car running
3) close the throttle slowly until completely closed, then try to just keep the engine running (this will push the air idle controller from one extreme to the other)
4) turn the idle screw back up until the idle is at 600rpm approx
5) take it for a drive with a screwdriver handy and stop and raise the idle to 650 (may need to adjust it a few times)

you can test the TPS with a multimeter by turning the ignition on and slowly opening the throttle, there should be a linear rise in voltage (cant remember the two pins you measure across off hand sorry)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts