Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...hear me out... I want some feedback on a potential cai for my car. First off, I am looking at the ractive heat shield filter, b/c my local shop has them and they are fairly cheap ($35). So I went to home depot yesterday, and looked at some 3" dryer hose. This stuff sounds just like that hose mx-6 boy (?) is using for his and it costs about $5 for a substantial length. It says that it is rated for 100-4something degrees F. Would this work well for the intake? Would all the ridges inside cause turbulance? And finally, would it be better to run the filter all the way to splash guard, or to keep the filter itself higher up and run a length of dryer hose to the splash guard? Sorry for bringing this up, but hopefully someone can help me with my specific questions, thanks alot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
PVC pipes will eliminate the problem of turbulence and allow smooth entry of the intake air....by having the filter up top u can drive more "wildly" and carelessly during heavy rain. tho with my hotshot and filter sitting like 5" off the ground, i hadnt had a problem with water ingestion (knock on wood) but i do pay extra attention during rainy days and look out for and avoid big puddles.....its ur call, i would think its easier to make the filter at the end, but im sure having it up top and run the pipe down (PRM style) isnt too much harder

·
Registered
543 Posts
the reason I picked the intake hose rather than the pvc was because of weight(the pvc tends to be on the heavy side) and becuase of the pvc's tendancy to melt. The hose is made of the same plastic used on the fuse box. The intake hose also has a thin metal strip that spirals through the hose to help it keep from tearing and kepping its shape.

for more details, check out my link on my sig.

·
Registered
921 Posts
IDK how many degrees it is but i know if it gets hot enought the PVC will slowly give off toxins which your engine will not like. Id be on the save side and use the dryer hose.

·
Registered
483 Posts
ohhh yeah and get the AEM water bypass valve so that the air filter cannot ingest water, they come in 3 inches too!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was thinking of cutting the dryer hose, running part to the filter and then part from the filter to the splash guard. Does anyone know how mx-6 boy's 'intake hose' would compare to just regular dryer hose? And just how much turbulance would a coiled hose make? Should it be stretched so it isn't coiled much once its installed? I know people have talked about doing this, but has anybody actually made a dryer cai?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ah, good old Brians page. That is a very efective intake because he makes an air box that effecrtively keeps out cold air. Unless you completelty cover the filter you will still be sucking in hot air decreasing your hp.

my intake is set up like a hotshot with the filter near the splash guard were it will take in cold air. The difference between mine and the hotshot is I use the hose rather than the metal pipe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think I had seen that page some time ago, just didn't pay too much attention to it. As I said in my first post, I will be using an Ractive heat shield filter, so I could modify something like that if I wanted? And I think you meant, 'keeps out hot air'? I am so excited about actually doing something to my car! This will prob. be done within a week or two (since my damn finals end today! woo hoo!) Hopefully all turns out well...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Damn, if my lazy ass friend would actually update my article on my cold air intake I could show you guys. Ill tell him again. I know MX6 boi has one but you can still get another idea how i did mine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
can you actually use the AEM water bypass valve?

Is it possible to use an AEM water bypass valve with a hotshot C.A.I.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts