Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The light output on my gen2 basically SUCKS. :tdown:

without cutting material or going to projectors, is there a way to get the pits off and brightening up the light output?

My 16 year old daughter is driving the car now and she doesn't need any unwanted attention from Johnny Law because I put stupid headlights on it.
I'll check the for sale section, but is there a decent fog light that I can easily add in the weird shaped space? the car did not come with fogs. would adding them be better than messing with the headlights?

TIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts, but as a new member, I'm unable to EDIT...:shrug: Sucks, really.

I was going to say that I read a lot of posts when I searched for headlights, but most of them were talking about Especs and Jspecs (whatever they are).

I'm new to this forum but have been around the Durango forum I moderate for 4 years. I can help with any of those vehicles, but I never really had the need to post anything for the Mazda.

Thanks for putting up with me. :jump:

·
Registered
301 Posts
well... first off, it is technically illegal to have fog lights on when there isn't some kind of inclement weather.. (at least that is the law in nebraska..) as far as espec and jspecs, those are just the headlights that came on the japanese spec (jspec) mx6, and the european spec (espec) mx6. The jspec are a projector headlight I believe and lots of people on here use them and really like them. The especs are also used by quite a few people on the forum. I believe they are also a projector light as well as having a glass cover instead of the standard plastic. Those are the big differences I think. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

(neither of those lights fit with out some modification of the chassis)
(also even though they are projectors they are not HID unless you convert them)

As far as better light output from the stockers.. try better bulb like the sylvania silver stars possibly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
another headlight?

I have heard that a mild sanding of the headlights nets a better output over the yellow/fogged plastic A-Spec headlights.
(im hoping this is your problem)
I've found that even before that some of the local parts store rubbing compounds will knock off alot of the haze,
though for better/best output and longterm solutions replacing the headlights with either of the above choices will help.
On the Fog light question, im not sure that other aftermarket lights would be best.
though finding stock mx6/626 fogs from a local junk/recycler a good option. you can find a nice set or contact hughes here on the forum for a nice set with alot of the hardware and pigtales.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
The first thing I would do is pick up a bottle of meguiar's plastx at your local auto store. It is basically a rubbing compound with water repellent added to it. It worked great on mine. If it doesn't make them clear enough, remove them from the car and wet sand them using 400, then 2000 grit paper. Then use plastx at the end to remove the haze they will have. I did this on my fogs and it made a huge difference. They feel and look new.

As far as fog lights go, X2 on sending a PM to Hughes46 (Mike Hughes). He has a TON of parts for the mx6 and he sells at the best prices. Adding stock fogs and wet sanding them and using plastx will net a great result. I went a step further on mine and took them apart (baked them in the oven at 200 for 15 minutes or so and pulled the lens off) and removed the glare shields over the fog light bulbs. Now they are plenty bright.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
ive got a set of extremely good condition fogs if you need them.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
A cop isnt going to pull you over for having running / fog lights on.

I assume the car is a 4 cyl since you said it doesnt have fogs.

You could buy a set of LS fog lights from the forum/ebay/junk yard along with the button and then wire it all up.

I know there is a write up on this around here. You will have to search for it, I dont have the link.

Also check out the guide on the sanding the headlights if yours are yellowed.

You could if the safety is worth the money buy a set of jspec lights for like 300 ( these replace the american headlights ) and then even get a 100 dollar hid kit and that plug and play.

If you cant spend the money then maybe a better bulb, also found if you search.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the stock headlights in my 93. I did the meguiars plastx and that really helped, great stuff!! Also put silverstar ultras in and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! silverstar ultras are 50 bucks or so at auto parts stores, but I got mine on ebay for 20 bucks

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Here are some pictures I took today of my clear headlights and fogs.

There is NO fog left on the fog lights lenses and the headlights are pretty clean. I only used meguiar's plastx on the headlights. The fog lights I wet sanded like I mentioned above. You can also see in the picture that I removed the metal glare shield that covers the fog light bulb.

·
Registered
752 Posts
E-specs are projectors ad they are made of glass not plastic like your A-spec lights. I have E-specs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of your help. The lenses are not yellow, but sandblasted. I'll try the Meguires and then the sanding route. Thanks for the lead on the fogs and will probably go that route as well.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back when I get it all done. some before and after pics will follow also.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I picked up some PIAA bulbs the other day they are pricey (got them on sale for $90) and they really helped! but I did alot of work in bringing my headlights up to almost new looking including using some high quality polish.

·
Registered
170 Posts
PIAA headlights are on sale at Lordco right now....

L88888888

B

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
OK, sorry for the thread jack, but I wanted to know if the A-Spec plastic light covers fit on the E-Spec lights...I really like the E-specs, but I ABSOLUTELY do not want glass lights.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OK, sorry for the thread jack, but I wanted to know if the A-Spec plastic light covers fit on the E-Spec lights...I really like the E-specs, but I ABSOLUTELY do not want glass lights.
Why not?

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
The espec glass is very thick. I wouldn't worry about them breaking/cracking.

Unless you are worried about weight. The especs weigh more than aspecs. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
If your worried about removing tint from espec lens' then you can just use acetone and you dont have to sand it or anything. Rock chips should net be an issue honestlly. The Especs aver very well build and there is really no reason to put a plastic lens on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts