Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm learning how.

Here's the problem: My dad is old, and my friend has a civic. (everyone else I know have AT)

I have read a few posts saying that some people don't know how to drive their 6. I'm assuming they are talking about when to shift to a higer gear?

So when's the right time?

Dad: "Listen to the engine. It'll tell you.... NOW!"
Friend: "Before you get to the red part."

`jjj :confused:

·
Registered
352 Posts
It depends how fast you want to go and how much gas you want to save. I shift anywhere from 3000 to 6800 RPMs the higher you shift the better acceleration, but less fuel economy.

When I first learned I was told the same thing about listening to the engine, which works if you know what your listening for.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can't go wrong if you refer to the owners manuel - it tells you the optimal shifting points. Actually the mx6 engines are pretty quiet and you just can't "Listen to them" to hear when to shift. In the old days, with older cars you could use this method, but not any more.

After a while you should be able to feel when to shift and you'll neither have to listen to the engine or look at the tach before shifting. Since you'll learning to drive a stick, try chaning gears below the optimal shift points, this will produce smoother shifts.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Shift whenever you feel like it. Just don't go into the red on the tach and you won't hurt anything. Whatever feels right is when you should shift. If you're shifting to soon, it won't feel right. Just practice.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.

Here are the recommendations for a '93 2.5 liter engine for "normal acceleration":

1-2 14mph
2-3 25mph
3-4 33mph
4-5 43mph

Aren't these pretty conservative?

Let's forget "normal acceleration" for awhile. Do you guys have any recommendations for racing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Let's forget "normal acceleration" for awhile. Do you guys have any recommendations for racing?
For racing, go to the red line, wich is 7000rpm on our cars... that way you'll alway stay in the power range of your 6 when you change gear. If you change gear at like 5500rpm, you will fall down to a little more then 3000 rpm and you loose acceleration because you fall too much below the max power of the engine wich is around 4800, I think (dont have the figs at hand).

Happy racing! Watch out for blinking red and blue lights!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Green94/LS said:

For racing, go to the red line, wich is 7000rpm on our cars... that way you'll alway stay in the power range of your 6 when you change gear. If you change gear at like 5500rpm, you will fall down to a little more then 3000 rpm and you loose acceleration because you fall too much below the max power of the engine wich is around 4800, I think (dont have the figs at hand).

Happy racing! Watch out for blinking red and blue lights!

Max power on 93 is 6000RPM and on 94 and up it's 5500RPM's.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
shift right at or right over the MAX HP peak in the power band. this will keep you right where you want to be at. if you shift at red line you do not gain any Hp from this you will really lose HP because the peak it at 5500 and you shift at 7000 you see the diference.

i would be very nice to have a dyno chart of your car. but since every one cant, go by what ever works good for you. but dont shift at red line

1 - 8 of 8 Posts