Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

You guys were right.

813 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  antiSUV 
G
#1 ·
I was driving along about an hour ago and my car just died.
First the radio shut of, then the clock faded and the car started to feel stuggish.. By the time I got it home (4 miles after the radio went out) , the car couldn't get out of its own way. I had keep the revs up because it felt like it was going to stall. Once I shut it down, there was no getting it started.

Is it normal for the turbo not to spool up in that type of situation? I figured it might have something to do with the lack of power getting to the ECU.

#3 ·
Alternator

don't go into shock mazda-head.. Your alternator took a dump.. go to your local parts store and buy one. I got a new one at discount for $119 with core. PLEASE.. NEVER, I mean NEVER pay a mekanink to do it.. I had to take 3 hours out of my time just to fix this, and the damn place wanted $347 to replace it.. rip off city... hope this helps.. later man

#4 ·
Swapping the alternator shouldn't take more that 30 minutes with just simple hand tools. No problem.

#5 ·
Changing the alternator is simple, if you need help let me know, I've done it enough times:) From memory you will need a 17mm socket, 14mm, and a 12mm - thats it. It looks harder than it is because of the position, just be happy you don't have a probe - the A/C evaporator is outside the dash and you need to remove the pass. side driveshaft to remove the alternator. That what you get for buying a ford! I really think they engineer the car to have the most hours for repair avaliable for the mechanic, i am a Toyota Tech and a Ford is the last thing I would want to touch:( good luck, need any more help, let me know!

#6 ·
Yeah. From my experience so far taking apart my 626, these cars are engineered really well. Everything is packed in there pretty tight, but you can still get to every bolt if ou just know the direction from which to come at it. My main troubles come from stuck bolts, and stuck vacume/coolant tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.