Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. Everyone I know's opinion's seem to differ on this issue, and I just want to know what you guys and girls think of it.

Some people I know think that they are a complete and utter waste of space and time, where as others think they're useful and look good.

In my opinion, I like them. I put one in my mx6 yesterday and I think it really looks good. As my standard tacho shows well above the rpm my car is capable of, in terms of usefullness there's no point in me having one. But I put it in purely for the point of improving and modernising the look of my interior.

How do you people feel about this topic?

·
Registered
541 Posts
excuse me while I....

wank wank wank wank wank

I only except them on a VL commondoore because the average vl driver is completely retarded.

I only except the need for a shift light in a vehicle that accelerates so fast your retina is about to fall off so you are in too much pain to concentrate on when the engine gets the the end of its power band.

In all seriousness tho...

No street car 'needs one', if you cant tell (via engine noise and response to your input - you foot!) that you need to change gears then maybe you are better off with those super extra wide rear vision mirrors some ethnic groups are infamous for because you have bigger issues than when you 'should' be changing gear.

(did I mention I think they are a load of wank!)

Just my opinion tho mate - you sound happy with your new bling - good for you, I hope you enjoy it, because - it is YOUR CAR and thats half the fun - making it YOUR CAR.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
YEAH!!! what he said lol
go rod :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm completely aware that it's wank...I totally agree...I know that I dont 'need' one...the only person I know that needs one is my mate in his rotary, and that's cos the car didnt come out of the factory with a rotor in it, so the standard tacho only goes up to 7000rpm, when with the 13b in it he can rev it to 10k plus. In my car it's completely purposeless...i jus like the look of it

·
Registered
164 Posts
you can't compare him to a commodore or vl driver...his car is actually a manual. Seen alot of auto commodores with monster tachos w/shift light...now that's a 10 on the wank-o-meter

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
in another thread someone raised the issue that a standard tacho can end up being inaccurate......fair enough.......but do we really need clock sized tachos ( with nearly as many numbers as wel) with huge shift lights. i listen to the engine, and i never go into redline territory. rotaries are fair enough. they are insane. but on my mx6 it never sees past 5500 really so its unnecessary

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
is that on a scale of 1-5?

i agree with u all, it's absolutely pointless... i think our cars already have tachos :p no point in a big one that stops u from seeing the right hand lower quarter of the windscreen

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
everyone i know who has installed a shift light or big tacho soon after grew sick of them....best example is my brothers liberty. he bought a shift light, and instead of helping him, the bright light ended up blinding him when it came on at night....it now sits under a "valvoline" cap on the dash.

·
Registered
665 Posts
its ok if you dont have a tacho,
but to buy one thats like 10"s big is just retarded! with all the flashy lights, becasue you're too stupid to change gears yourself without having a light tell you to...

if you dont have a factory tacho fine, but at least buy like a 3" one and mount it somewehre inside the instruemtn cluster
not hanging off your dash where it covers half of your vision..

my 2 cents

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
once again, i agree with you all. i guess im wanking. i dont need the shift light to tell me when to shift, i can tell from the sound of my engine.

they really can be dangerous at night time. i was drivin my mate's rotor in the wet (lethal) and i shifted from 3rd to 4th at 7grand when the shift light went off, and the light blinded me while i shifted, and the whole ass of the car kicked out beside me and i couldnt see a fucking thing. ended up on the other side of the highway...lucky there were no cars around

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
I saw an ad for them during rodders life last night, the great big glowing ones, with the massive light strapped on. I think if their good enough for hotrods, they're good enough for our Rice.
Where did you end up putting it anyway? Because i've seen some in the passenger footwell/left side of the dash, and that looked ......eh :confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
TXSTYL said:
once again, i agree with you all. i guess im wanking. i dont need the shift light to tell me when to shift, i can tell from the sound of my engine.
If you agree with us then why do you have it? :)

·
Registered
541 Posts
txstyl - if you enjoy the tacho, dont take our digs at you too seriously. As I said in my post - half the fun of mod'ing a car is being individual.

Looks like you are being VERY individual to the MX crowd!!

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Having a moster tacho and shift light in a daily driver is all for show. Vl auto's on chopped springs and rusty sills..... show. My opinion

Doing something to YOUR car, that you like, is fine by me. first person you gotta please in that respect is you. More power to ya.

Drag racing or circuit racing is another matter. You want to focus as much as possible on the road ahead and/or the lights. Having a BIG tacho in, or close to you line of sight, with a shift light is benificial. How many times do people actually look down to see the instrument panel? More than people actually admit.

Worked VL (or any car for that matter) auto's, with big stall converters, that run mid to low 12, it is benificial. More so if the rev limiter has been removed. You have the engine sitting on red line with the transbrake on.

Your concentration on the lights, you don't want to look down to check engine revs and stuff up your launch as you have missed the green.

·
Registered
150 Posts
makes you think, why did they make monster tachos in the first place.. they cost a few hundred and do pretty much nothing..

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
i think their wank factor but then again each to their own??? why didnt u spend the 200 odd bucks on somethin more useful 4 ya car thougfh??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts