Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the way back from getting wings last week... i had an "interesting" run in with a z28.

i was pretty much hauling ass down route 30 west, maybe 90-100 mph... when a set of headlights started getting bigger and bigger in the rearview. at first i thought it had to be a cop... but it turned out to be a black 93-97 camaro z28. he pulled up next to me, gunned it and passed me... so i made it a point to pull up next to him at the next light... turned green, and as expected, i got smoked. i kept this up at the next few lights, because, to be honest, i loved watching that car get on it... it appeared to be a 6 speed (or a 5 maybe... manual tranny regardless) due to the way he spun 2nd (almost lost it fishtailing once or twice). anyway... at the last light, i actually managed to get a faster start than him @- ... up until he came past me right as he grabbed 2nd. damn, that thing was fast. wonder how he'd do against a 3rd gen rx-7 :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
After I turned up the boost to 12 psi, I was feeling pretty cocky so I went against a Z of the same generation. He had gears and exhaust, that I know of for sure. Anyway, he stomped a mudhole in my ass. I hung with him through first, mainly due to a good hole shot in my favor. He smoked me in second though. My clutch was slipping pretty bad, but don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't have won with a good clutch. It wouldn't have been as bad a loss though. The guy was a REAL asshole about it. I almost got into a fight with him. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
YZF I could be wrong but I thought the 3rd gen rx7 twin turbo did a mid13 and a stock Z28 did mid14's. Correct me if I'm wrong but those are the numbers I'm remembering. So it looks like the rx7 (3rd gen of course) has the advantage. Let me know please!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The RX7 is running about 250 horse power, and the camaro is running 285, given that the car was a 93-97, that means its got the lt1. The RX7 would be running mid to high 13s, and the LT1 camaro would do high 13s. The LT1 camaros i know, all run at least 13.8s right out of the box. Like i said, maybe the RX7 could beat it, but it wouldnt be an all out slaughter. It would be a close race, maybe even a photo finish.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i thought they ran 14s. I don't keep up with camaros much... unless it's the SS. Now that's a sweet automobile. Thanks for the correction YZF. I truly wasn't taking the RX7 in the race just b/c it was a Mazda. I've seen a modded RX7 and modded Z28 run and the RX7 blew his doors off. Oh well!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought the one's that are doing 13's are the newer z28's or SS and the 93-97 are doing 14's.. Yes the RX-7 WOULD beat the camaro, i wouldn't doubt it. The z28 has about 30 more hp but also has about 400lbs+ more than the RX-7. I'm not sticking up for rx-7's cuz they are Mazdas and i don't bash other cars cuz they are non-mazdas, i'm sticking up for them cuz it's the truth - they can beat z28's.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
as far as value goes... i still think i'd have the rx-7. a friend of mine bought a 93 rx7 for 14,000 dollars. (very good condition) and... wow is it fast.

i think exclusivity plays a huuuge part in this decision, though. i see MAYBE one third gen every few weeks or so... compared to a camaro every 5 minutes (or less).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts