Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right, I've left the forced induction upgrade on the back burner for a bit to concentrate on upgrading the suspension bits in my GT. Working with a limited budget has it's downfall, but makes you use other resources, ala Pull-A-Part junkyards and craigslist! I found a nice gem of a 91 GT a couple weeks ago in the yard. Mostly untouched sans the missing turbo and manifold.

So boys and girls, what does the 91 have that the 89 does not? That's right; factory lower tie bar, RSTB and beefier front swaybar!! I also found a steal of a deal on CL a couple months ago...Addco 20mm rear sway bar for the probe GT. I also picked up a set of ES endlinks to compliment the new bar.

Warning, when you picked up the ES endlinks, if you upgrade the rear swaybar to 20mm, you will need to go to your local auto parts stores and pick up a 6" carriage bolt. The 5.25" bolt that comes with the ES endlinks is not long enough!

So that leads me to today. It was a nice day outside and I had an hour so I decided to start upgrading...enjoy!

Lucky I got the endlinks, the stop of the link snapped off as I was removing it!

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Middle

RSTB

I am by no means done with my suspension work. I'll have updated pics of the front once I get that done. On the shortlist of other suspension gems are Koni Red Inserts, Coilover Sleeves, Tein springs and RX7 camber plates. But with a price tag of over $1000 total, it's going to have to wait a little bit, unless I find a deal.

tbc.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Come on in, the water is fine ;)

That would be the "old" 3/4"(19mm) rear addco bar. Its been superseded by the 7/8" (22mm) rear bar. Good find. Take a bit of care with driving hooliganism before getting the new struts. While the 19mm rear bar isnt as OMGWTFBBQ!!!11 as the 22mm bar, its still a lot of bar and can overpower the rear springs/struts in certain maneuvers.

Why the tein springs? If you plan to go to coilover sleeves theres tons of eibach race springs on the used market to shave costs.

Looks good for a start

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on in, the water is fine ;)

That would be the "old" 3/4"(19mm) rear addco bar. Its been superseded by the 7/8" (22mm) rear bar. Good find. Take a bit of care with driving hooliganism before getting the new struts. While the 19mm rear bar isnt as OMGWTFBBQ!!!11 as the 22mm bar, its still a lot of bar and can overpower the rear springs/struts in certain maneuvers.

Why the tein springs? If you plan to go to coilover sleeves theres tons of eibach race springs on the used market to shave costs.

Looks good for a start

Gavin
Tein mostly going by word of mouth from the MPS3 crowd...they love them.

The Addco makes the stocker swaybar look like angel hair pasta :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was in the Seattle CL. It was back in November I think. Can't beat $20!!! Just wish he had the front

·
Registered
657 Posts
yeah thats the one he lived in Evertt i talked to him about it a few time and asked if it was the old addco one and he told me it was the eibach one. I passed after i found out it was the smaller one i was hoping to find another 22mm rear but nice by

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Tein mostly going by word of mouth from the MPS3 crowd...they love them.
Just a suggestion then, forget the tein springs and search for some used eibach race springs.

eibach dominates the market for race springs(In the US at least). Because of this, theres tons of places to pick them up and a huge used market where you can pick them up for 1/2 price. Race springs really dont wear or go bad, so people buy and trade them all the time.

PM me and I can point you in the right direction if youd like

Gavin

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I originally had Tein S-Techs on my Miata, and they kinda sucked. Nowhere near stiff enough to pair with my Illuminas. I'd imagine the same would be true with the Koni Reds. I'm with Gavin on this. Eibach, FTW.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet.

Gavin, when I'm in the position, I'll send you a PM :)

It may be six months, or six years :lol:

·
short stroker
235 Posts
what no poly bushings on this list? Maybe instead of the camber plates? Your suspension is going through all kinds of wierd uncontrolled arcs during compression and rebound with old, worn bushings.

Oh and I have a spare ground control coilover kit that might interest you, includes threaded collar, spring perch, eibach springs; never touched, new in box...i'll take it to pm.

·
Registered
959 Posts
definitely replace the bushings, though im a bit curious, how much does the lower rear tie bar actually help?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we'll see what happens when she drives again

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'm a third the way there. I have ES end links, new control arms, rstb, and a dutch fstb on the way.

I still need to get trailing links for the rear and get poly bushings for the front and rear(CA). Plus I need a new strut/spring setup as the stock AAS is showin its age.

At this point its kinda hard to decide where the money should be spent, power or driving ability.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here's a caveat...I was going to swap in the 91gt swaybar...and I thought it looked smaller than what I have on now. So I measured. The one I pulled measured 22.5-23.8mm?? The stocker I have on measured between 24.8 and 25.5mm. Measurements were taken on the main straight bar and then the ends

Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Yeah, it is. Check my swaybar thread, I mention it there.

There is a 22mm bar thats floating around and I havent figured out where it came from(no recorded data on it) or why it exists, but it does albeit in incredibly small numbers. Id would almost call it an aftermarket item, but Ive seen one myself and I swear it looks like a stamping from an OEM.:confused:

As for 24.8-25.5mm....check again, either your calipers are generous (or theres paint on the swaybar...OEM is 24.2mm) or you have a solid 1"(25.4mm) addco. Either way, use the bigger front bar.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked three times and it's painted black like the OEM! my caliper is dead nuts on as well. maybe the paint is on thick?? not sure, but the 22mm is going in the trash :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts