Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I just checked with HID planet, and the BMW E46 ECE projectors are no longer available from them.

its second hand or ebay from here on in......
Yup...that's why I've held onto mine. They are becoming harder and harder to find...kind of like good FE3 parts ;)

I'm going to do this. I've mocked up one projector in the housing held together with jbweld and just the little bit I used to tack it down, it still took a few good blows before it came loose. So fully 'welded' down with jb, should hold up very nicely. :D

Since my upgrade is basically done, I can focus on these now.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
bought damn time lol.

I was just thinking of this the other day on the way back from Mazdaman's house in IL. He popped on his HID's for a moment and i shit myself. Naturally they seemed to have some wicked glare while i looked at them from an angle standing up but i'm sure with some mx-6 retro's they would look badass. Can't wait to see new updates man.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
On the issue of unfluting the glass, I had a somewhat of a wild idea; it might be possible to cast them at home.

I did a small proof of concept:

This isn't a chipped glass or a bit of acrylic or lexan, it's clear polyester resin, cast between two sheets of glass. It picked some surface imperfections (including a few fingerprints, I wasn't careful enough:eek:) but what I think it demonstrates is it's possible to cast reasonably good quality transparent parts at home. The original lenses weren't actually Hubble Space Telescope quality either.

What's the trick is there first needs to be molds off the stock lenses with *REALLY* good preparation, smooth off the backside, replace and apply any approval markings needed (making this a bit of a product counterfeit, but I think regulations like these are made solely for the benefit of car manufacturers)

More work than grinding the glass, but easier, and you can repair small mistakes. It's something you cannot do when working on the actual piece. I fact it could be possible to have part really approved if it was affordable.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
have you tried to see if it melts under a lot of heat or is it a pretty solid piece. Looks great btw!

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Regular consumer usable polyester resing are thermoset, they won't melt. They will soften a bit though.

I don't consider heat a major factor with xenons. The input power of a HID unit is only 35 watts, compared to 45-55W of regular halogen headlights. Not only lower in nominal power, the Xenon is also much more efficient, further reducing the heat stress. Greatest threat is dirt that can heat up by the light and cause damage, but keeping the headlights clean it's not a likely problem. Under ECE regulations it's mandatory to have headlight washers anyway, if xenons are fitted.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Regular consumer usable polyester resing are thermoset, they won't melt. They will soften a bit though.

I don't consider heat a major factor with xenons. The input power of a HID unit is only 35 watts, compared to 45-55W of regular halogen headlights. Not only lower in nominal power, the Xenon is also much more efficient, further reducing the heat stress. Greatest threat is dirt that can heat up by the light and cause damage, but keeping the headlights clean it's not a likely problem. Under ECE regulations it's mandatory to have headlight washers anyway, if xenons are fitted.
you should see the base of the xenon bulb glass glow orange ;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
^--- true dat, kinda forgot a less heat generating bulb is going in there. Keep up the good work dude

141 - 150 of 150 Posts