Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i've searched and surprisingly didn't find much of anything about them, aprx. how much power it will add, how hard is it to install? does it give you a low end loss? what is an average price for them, basically any info about them i found next to nothing, i wish the search allowed two letter words like ZE and IM but basically nothing informative came up for klze intake manifold or any combination of those.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I got mine for $180 shipped from Canada, comes with TB and fuel rail, the lowest price I've seen was the one my buddy bought, $150 shipped, but they goes from $150 to $240 depends. Just make sure you find one that comes with the TB cuz you'll need the IAC for the swap or you'll be force to do the coolant bypass mod, that will gives you a high idle and a slow warm up in the winter. For the power gain, It'll get you a good 7hp ~ 15hp gain depends on your setup. I don't know much about the installation cuz I won't install mine till next spring, but I heard it's not that bad, just time consuming, oh, you'll need a set of phenolic spacers so you can port match it with the 03 head ;)

Here's a Installation Guide, hope this helps :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, can you explain what port matching is?? sorry i dont know, the installation guide probably tells but i cant get into probetalk this weekend

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
cheerios165 said:
thanks for the info, can you explain what port matching is?? sorry i dont know, the installation guide probably tells but i cant get into probetalk this weekend
Since the ZE IM won't be direct match with the 03 head, the air won't flow smoothly, there are 2 way to fix it, one is port the 03 head to match with the ZE runner, second is get a set of spacer and port one end to match with the 03 head, you'll get it when you see the installation guide. How come everyone has trouble getting into PT today?? I get in and out freely :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
MazdaMX6 said:
Just make sure you find one that comes with the TB cuz you'll need the IAC for the swap or you'll be force to do the coolant bypass mod, that will gives you a high idle and a slow warm up in the winter.
Close, but the coolant lines can be addressed by using longer 5/16" fuel hose in place of the original hoses. The real hassle is getting vac to the 03 IAC since the ZE IM does not have the large 21/32" IAC vac port at the right rear of the 03 IM. You can also get around that problem by T-ing off the PCV vac port but you have to protect the IAC from oil vapor with an inline fuel filter.

Maybe I'll post my guide over here. Unfortunately, the current version of it is on PT. I have an old version, but it's missing some new sections I added.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine should be delivered at Nov 11, $225(with tb, injectors, rails) from Canada.(Ebay).
Hope to feel more power:E
------------------------------

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
You'll feel a difference in the top end. Just make sure to ziptie your vris valves open (unless u get chipped).

It's so funny when PT goes down. All the fiends come here to get their fix. I say its funny cuz the usage probably doubles here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just leave the VRIS as is for now, but you could always tie them open to test them out. But yeah...you do feel an improvement in top end. No significant loss in low or midrange. BTW, if you do get a ZE IM, you should complement it with a bored TB then exhaust mods.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Omaha...didn't streetthismx6 do a dyno dealing with the VRIS and discovered the curve is much more smooth with em tied open then opening at the wrong rpms?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah actually he did, and he dd say that his curves were smoother, but I didn't look at the curves side by side. You have to see the curves next to each other to see which one had more "area under the curve" because if one has more peak hp but less power everywhere else, tying them open my not be worth it. Check his dyno. Either way, tied open or just normal, you will have more power than an 03 IM.

BTW, you will nearly lose the kick at 4250 when you install the ZE IM. When you change chips (I have a mikeseli chip) or use a VRTuner, you won't feel the VRIS open at all since the curves will be so smooth and optimized.

G

·
eXtreMX-6 said:
What if you just took the VRIS Butterflys out? I always wondered what that would do :D anyone tried it or have any comments on it? Im very curious.
Thats the best if you aren't going to use it at all... Just make sure you plug the spindle holes

R

1 - 14 of 14 Posts