Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
phew.

finished removing the ZE from the wreck today and th DE is almost out.

HOLY CRAP some bolts just sucked! I was hoping to get the DE out today but ran out of time cause a) power steering pully tight as a freakin bitch and even tighter was the intermediate shaft bracket bolts. Ended up taking the CV apart instead hah.
Exhaut botls a bitch as per normal - only sheared 2 off.

headers are on (they were a bitch to get on too) and ZE is clean.

Just need to unhook fuel lines and then pull DE out then ZE goes in.

Probably have time to take DE out tomorrow avo and then ZE in on Tuesday!

Though the probinator chipped ECU was making the ZE run very lean so might not be up to 200hp for a while until I can figure that one out....

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
You should foolow these rules with some bolts on cars

I've stripped a few and when your doing it in a situation where time is not on your side - you don't have time to prepaire you can't use these but they help

Any exhaust manifold I have not done before - I soak in WD40 or similar I mean soak spray them like 4 tiems in 1 hour. Leave overnight or 6 hours etc. Since using that trick I've never sheared a exhaust manifold nut.

If it looks like it's been hit by rattle gun use one to remove. If it looks like it's never been removed use a rattle gun to remove.
Some bolts and nuts don't get touch since the car was built.

Alot of parts on engines are put togeather on the assembly line with impact and other re torqued tools. most notable are the bolts with the alginment on the end of the thread so they can just jam them into the hole and pull trigger. They suffer the worse from age.

But most of all take time

Also take advantage and use new fuel lines and heater lines. plus if you can a quick clean in areas you normally don't see helps out.

Next time I remove my engine and gearbox I might get my engine bay sprayed silver or close to factory white. Makes seeing leaks easy

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I really should go and get me a rattle gun. Though half the bolts in an mx6 would be impossible to get to with a rattle gun.

hrmm
new fuel lines would be a decent idea... have to ask mazda about them tomorrow. Though they dont look hard to replace when the engine is in...

and yes, bay is getting a thorough clean when its out. My DE has had slow oil leaks for a long long time.... everything is a mess (which doesnt make getting bolts off any easier when everything is covered in grit/oil/grease). This will include cleaning alternator, ac comp, ps pump, etc, etc... everything is just covered in grit/oil

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Just buy off the shelf EFI hose from repco or similar.
Just make sure it's EFI hose.

I always replace soon as it looks tired. Alot of people don't and I usually find where fuel filters been replaced over the years it's where some people have slow leaks.

It's usually where you see a car catch a light on hot day on th side of the road.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers thanks.

going to mazda about some shifter linkage bushings anyway but that'll save me some cash.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
may i recommend buying 4 cans of WD40 and getting some good tools (my kingchrome cuts the mustard rather well though). Using these i managed to get through my swap without breaking anything, so hopefully you can have the same luck

i just hope you have better luck once the engine is in, that being said, yours is pre-run in, mine needed injectors replaced and all sorts :s

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah im slowly buying good tools as things wear out/break.

yeah I'm hoping it will be easy to get it to start seeing as I've had the engine running in the wreck - so just hook it up as it was in there.....

About the only issue I can forsee is getting the chipped ECU to work, but at least that doesnt stop the engine running.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I got through my swap without breaking anything just lost some skin :p i didnt have to use a rattle gun either but a bit ot extra pipe on a breaker bar was used a few times good luck and remember to put your fuel lines back on the right way i sat there for 2 hours trying to work out why it wouldnt start and that was it

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent actually broken tools getting it all out, just sheared some exhast bolts which I dont care about anyway as I've 1 car and 3 exhausts.....

DE out and is now in the wreck (just attached to engine mounts so I can put driveshafts back on and therefore wheels so I can move the damn thing - we need the driveway)

ZE is all ready to go, just need to clean a few more bits of the engine bay.

Just need to go buy some gearbox oil and another silicone joiner for the intake and I've got everything too.

SO, heres hoping I hear the wonderful sounds of a ZE sometime tomorrw...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
may i recommend buying 4 cans of WD40 and getting some good tools (my kingchrome cuts the mustard rather well though). Using these i managed to get through my swap without breaking anything, so hopefully you can have the same luck
Most of my garage is Kingchrome

My work is mix of Sidchrome - Stanley(old school) and kingchrome.

If it's one thing to never Skimp on is tools. Your knuckles and wallet will thank you long term
Also never lend them.
Or be like me and never put them back. Silly I know but I guess as I have draw full of them I always end up having 3 or 4 spanners the same. Only recently noticed I had 3 12mm ratchet spanners and 5 13mm's - yeah 5 13mm.
Mostly because I forget where I leave them and go buy a new one next time I'm at the store.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha nice.

well discovered the loom from the tx5 is rather different from the mx6 -... and mine doesnt match up to the ZE in all places. Having to splice some plugs over to get things to plug in. however, apart from some electrics plugs and the intake, everthing else is done.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SHE LIVES

finally fired up. my disty plugs didnt match the ZE's disty... so changed them over too. Once that was changed over and an errant earth lead found she fired up immediatly.

Idle etc still to be played with as there aint an exhaust yet nor oil in gearbox.

BUT SHE LIVES

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL
spoke too soon SO spoke too soon.

Yes, the engine runs, but no the car wont move. Reason being - Dad being used to RWD and me just plain forgetting we started the engine with no driveshafts in. Now it SHOULDNT rotate the diff when its out of gear... but it did.

So unless anyone knows a cool way of rotating the diff through the axle holes (we tried but couldnt get it). Then out comes the box to put the diff back properly.

hahaha

oh well. lesson learned. I'm not into exams at uni so probably not going to be running till next week sometime.
hahahah

whoops...

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
So unless anyone knows a cool way of rotating the diff through the axle holes (we tried but couldnt get it). Then out comes the box to put the diff back properly.
Depends how far off the gears have gone, the only thing that holds them in position is the driveshafts themselves, if you can rotate one gear through the driveshaft hole on one side you might be able to use the spider gears to spin the opposite gear into position....

But I guess you probably already tried that.....if neither gear is in position, and the centre of the gear is not visible through the hole, the gearbox will have to come out

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they are about 90degrees out. the splines are not even visible. Ah well. good practice on how to drop the box out. I daresay given the cars usage in motorsport I will have to pull it out at somestage anyway.....

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
god damn it taking a box out sucks!!!!

actually its probably only a bitch cause of the ebay headers... cant get a bloody spanner on the rear mount bolts to take them off the gearbox.

and no i cant take the headers off, they were way too hard to get on when the engine was out, let alone with the engin in...

ah well. off to bunnings or some place to try and get something with a 17mm spanner on the end of a 2ft long bar so it can clear the headers.

oh and some ratcheting spanners. [fizzle]ing rear engine mount.

hoping I can get it running before Sunday cause of a hillclimb....

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
^ racheting spanners are the best money ive EVER spent on tools, i would still be doing my swap without them...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts