Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be swapping out my de with the ze very soon, and want to make sure I have my ducks in a row. I've been researching for days on here and still have some lingering questions. I understand you can use the kl31 and kl36 (in big letters). I've read that the 31 was originally for the mtx but looks for an extra coolant sensor thus causing one fan to activate all the time. Is this true and if so is there a way to correct? My seccond question is with the speed limiter. I will be installing a gps which uses the speed sensor. Will pulling the speed sensor wire to the ecu interfere with this?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
hey, I have a kl31 eprom in my ecu and it does look for the fan sensor, which I have. I actually had fan problems before with the fans always being on with my Probinator chip, and I think that probinator chip is for 94' and up. This kl31 chip work perfectly in my 93 with the 2 coolant sensors. If you don't have both coolant sensors, you'll have to wire up an extra wire (not sure where, but there are threads about it) in the ecu plug if you use the KL31 ecu. If you use a probinator chip, I think you'll be just fine. Also, kl31 will require the je50 vaf. probinator chip or stoker modded chip will be able to use the aspec vaf

don't know about the speed limiter. i think the probinator chip gets rid of it, not sure about stoker. will have to ask him

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BMX for replying. I read a post from someone with an mx3 installing a chipped ecu. It looks like he just added a sensor and connected it to the new unit. I wasnt sure if the kl31 would be the same, but it makes sense it would. Does the kl36 also look for this sensor and have this issue? Also, would it be possible to just tap off the existing sensor wire instead of running a whole new sensor?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
it's the year that you're looking for, as 93's only had the extra sensor. 94 and up did not have the extra sensor. I added the extra coolant sensor as I had a 93 and my wire harness had the extra plug for the extra fan coolant sensor. If you have a 94 and up, you WILL have to add wires if you decide to add an extra coolant sensor. like you said, kl36 is for auto, so that doesn't matter. It's the year you're looking for. Yes, tapping off the existing sensor is what people have done I think

Thanks BMX for replying. I read a post from someone with an mx3 installing a chipped ecu. It looks like he just added a sensor and connected it to the new unit. I wasnt sure if the kl31 would be the same, but it makes sense it would. Does the kl36 also look for this sensor and have this issue? Also, would it be possible to just tap off the existing sensor wire instead of running a whole new sensor?

·
Registered
655 Posts
but tapping it off won't create a problem?? So for my 96, mtx, i would have to add some wires in order to have a proper running engine by having the fans come on at the proper time or just tap the wires off and still run ok??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guilty, Unless you've switched out our wiring harness, I don't think it will work for you. 96 cars had obd2 which is very different from obd1 (93,94 and some 95). the question was for a 94, so if you have an obd1 mx6 harness from a 94 or early 95 then tapping into the existing coolant sensor may work. If it doesn't I will be running a whole new sensor. There's the option to get a chipped ecu (again only on obd1) but I already own a kl31

1 - 7 of 7 Posts