Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps.

Im sure some of you have seen this in some of my photos here and there and wondered why?

(ignore the unsightly rust colored things)

The story:
A while back I was having trouble with my brakes. I had exessive pedal travel before tthe brakes engaged. Also, I simply couldnt lock up the brakes with the pedal bottomed out. Not that this was what i wanted to do but it seemed indicative that I wasnt getting 100% braking force. Air in the line? Master cylinder? Brake booster? Leaks? Something was wrong but what?
As it turned out, the little plunger that depresses the piston in the master cylinder was off by 1.5mm.

Before I got to that point though, a friend of mine mentioned to check the brake lines for swelling. Perhaps, as the lines were old they were expanding and absorbing the hydrolic forces that should be going to the brake calipers. Ok....How do you check for that? Replace the lines with new($$$), replace with braided steel lines($$$). No no. he says...use zip ties as a diagnostic tool. ZIP TIES!?...HUH?:confused:

Get a bag of high test zip ties(I used 40lb test, 1000 for 10$), zip tie all the lines thoroughly and tightly. The lines have much less ability to expand under load. It took a bit of time, but at a fraction of the cost of the alternatives, it was a cheap way of determining if the brake lines were the cause of my issues.

There was a benefit to all of this though....a firmer brake pedal. This same technique is apparently and old autocross trick. In the "stock" classes very few modifications are allowed. Stainless steel brakelines being one not allowed. What is a racer to do when he wants a better feel on his brakes but cant swap the OEM lines out? Thats right...zip ties. The feel aproxamates steel braided lines and still fit within the scope of the rules. (I *think* the SCCA has plugged up this little loophole)

So there you have it...zip ties as a diagnostic tool and performance enhancement. Who woulda thunk it?

Gavin

G

·
I replaced my motor mounts with zip ties. Definite improvement :tup:

J/K

Thats a pretty nifty idea, I might do that on my protege.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
My only concern would be the friction from the hose flexing and moving around as you drive would eventually wear through the hose. Other than that it's a cool mod!

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good man Anarchyx34.

I scrubbed the lines clean of dirt before doing this. Not for the zip ties initially, but to see if there were any small cracks/deterioration on the lines. As the lines were now clean of any dirt I could put the zip ties on witout trapping dirt between the lines and zip ties(possible risk of abrasion of the lines?). If you look close youll also see that the clasps of the ties are offset to each other forming a "V" instead of being inline with each other. Doing that allowed the ties to be closer to each other without the clasps being pressed into each other and maybe moving around. I too was concerned with the ties possibly pinching/crimping the lines under movement.

Ill eventually be getting a set of proper braided steel lines(like the ones from mazdaspeed that have silicone sheathing. Nice). But damned if this doesnt work well for 5$ worth of zipties.

Gavin

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Great mod, sounds crazy but it would work...........odddd

You should have bought black zipties..............I have a sh!t load of them (dads a plumber.........hehe)

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
Zip ties are for shocks, as well

Another lo-buck zip-tie diagnostic tool.

Suspension is a big, big deal in off-road racing. I spent a few years in this type of racing. One of the things you tried to do is make certain that you used every bit of suspension travel that you had (perpetually rebuilding shocks with different valving).

Real tough to evaluate the effectiveness of valving changes unless you put a tie around the shock shaft and let the body push it up the shaft for a couple of laps. If it made it to the end of the shaft on an easy lap, valving was too soft, if it was short of the end after a hard lap, valving was too stiff.

Feel free to use the same idea on you auto-x or track machine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
make my get into the 13s ;). Great post gavin, i am in your position right now, i cant lock my brakes and the pedel has alot of play so i think i wil give it a try. Also you mentioned that the little plunger that depresses the piston in the master cylinder was off by 1.5mm, i am curious as to how you found that out and fixed it. thanks

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Re: Zip ties are for shocks, as well

SleepCounter said:
Another lo-buck zip-tie diagnostic tool.

Real tough to evaluate the effectiveness of valving changes unless you put a tie around the shock shaft and let the body push it up the shaft for a couple of laps. If it made it to the end of the shaft on an easy lap, valving was too soft, if it was short of the end after a hard lap, valving was too stiff.
I use the same trick setting up mountain/downhill bikes. There's nothing like a 8' drop off and a zip tie to tell you how much usable travel you've got!

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moridin...After doing the zip tie trick, bleeding the brakes(many, many times), changing pads and rotors I came to the master cylinder(I had gotten a new one just in case). On a lark I decided to check the Mazda manual and I saw the specs for plunger adjustment. Zero play is whats called for. It took a while to determine if the plunger was at the correct depth since I dont have the cool SST they call for, but I came up 1.5mm short after all the math. The plunger has an adjustable tip that can be unscrewed to get it to the right length.

I have seen the subsequent listing for other mazdas(323s or RX7s I think) that call for 1mm of free play with the plunger. Maybe someone goofed:shrug:

Gavin

·
Registered
959 Posts
interesting idea sleep counter, ill have to remember that trick and apply it to my auto x car

·
Registered
105 Posts
Constantly reviving dead threads.

How much did all of this end up costing you?
Even a Guestimeant would be handy.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Here in the states you can get 1,000 zip ties for $10USD or less.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here in the states you can get 1,000 zip ties for $10USD or less.
IN my tired state I commented in the wrong comment thread -_-.
Was meant to be for the Illuminas on Ground controls.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This thread takes me back..

Found this thread in 2011 I think, I immediately grabbed my 100 pack and went to town.

Shortly after, I took it one step further:

I miss that car. I took ghetto to a whole new level.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
IN my tired state I commented in the wrong comment thread -_-.
Was meant to be for the Illuminas on Ground controls.

Ah... i don't think what he paid for that old setup isn't going to be relevant these days. (Did he even ever run them? Don't remember. It's not a great setup.)

Prices on Illuminas have skyrocketed in the last couple years. Buying new Illuminas and new Ground Controls will run close to $1000 these days. Not worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts