Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little bit badass.

Race Car IMSA national Champ 1989 MX6 turbo very fast

I fixed some of the spelling errors (below) because they bugged me so bad.

This is the fastest front wheel car ever built for road racing. It was a Mazda factory race car driven by Dave Jolly. It was built buy Metalcraft from Sacramento. It raced all over the United States Limerock, Road America, Watkins Glen, Sears Point ect. IMSA outlawed Turbo cars because how this car dominated. I purchased the car directly from Metalcraft. The build of this car was $45,000 plus the value of a new MX6. It comes with boxes of spares which it never needed, Wellwood brakes, fuel management system, 12 gal fuel cell with quick dump, custom dash, coilovers too much to list. May consider part trade for a 1955 to 1964 chevy truck. I raced the car only at Sears Point 3 times a year for 8 years, always podium finishes.
It ran a 154.04 - It would beat Camaros, Mustangs and BMWs and lap others. I was not a great driver but it made me look good. It still holds a track record at Sears Point. It comes with a fresh Turbo engine not installed or just run it with the aspirated engine that is in it now. Lost of spares. Has been in storage for 14 years. It can run in Historic or SCCA and win. It is a full race car. It weighs 2,145 lbs and has big HP when the boost lites up.

·
Registered
873 Posts
By the power of grayskull...

I would LOVE to deliver pizzas in that beast....and $7,500 isn't an impossible number. A tad high maybe, for something that can't legally see the street.

God.......I want. It's sooooo close to me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Wow. That car has some history. Badass indeed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy All...
I’m the guy who bought this car....

Over the last 3 years the car has been restored with the gracious help of Dave Jolly, Rod and Lee Sorenson, Jackson Stewart (the engine builder), and Dave Meek,

...some of you may call that Rod was named crew chief of the year by IMSA in 1989...

...it’s been a real privilege to see the secrets of the wizards of Metalcraft racing. A truely innovative and extremely well built car which I am trying to have for Mazda’s 100th...of course with the 19 and no news from Mazda about what activities will be like, or not...it’s a moving target.

As you can see, we are about 85% there...the last 15% takes 60% of the effort!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Howdy All...
I’m the guy who bought this car....

Over the last 3 years the car has been restored with the gracious help of Dave Jolly, Rod and Lee Sorenson, Jackson Stewart (the engine builder), and Dave Meek,

...some of you may call that Rod was named crew chief of the year by IMSA in 1989...

...it’s been a real privilege to see the secrets of the wizards of Metalcraft racing. A truely innovative and extremely well built car which I am trying to have for Mazda’s 100th...of course with the 19 and no news from Mazda about what activities will be like, or not...it’s a moving target.

As you can see, we are about 85% there...the last 15% takes 60% of the effort!
Fantastic to see the car is still alive and very much being cared for. Please keep the updates coming!

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Here is a pic from Mid-Ohio 1989 LUK Clutch Challenge for inspiration!

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts

I think I have some more images somewhere. I'll try to find them for you.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
1991 Season, as driven by Makoto Yamamura. Driven to 14th place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy,

Responding to this thread as it seems relevant. I recently acquired one of Amos Johnson's cars from the IS series, it was driven by Dennis Shaw. @1974Gt4 let's get these cars on track together again :)

I haven't been on this forum for nearly 15 years but I'm also the one that built the 'Red Headed Step Child' car that was featured in SCC back in the day. Full circle I suppose...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, the car has been complete for a little over a month or so, It was out for it's first race in 20 years (verified by the log book) and the car performed flawlessly. A true testament to the fellas at McGee Motorsports at Sonoma Race way, they know more than a thing or two about unibody cars and I couldn't be happier.

Now if I just learn how to drive it !

Now, where are all the rest of those IMSA International Sedan Cars lurking? Spoolinboost and I have started this thing...join up ! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts